Whether you're looking for that luxury used auto that you've always had your eye on or buying your child their first car, you'll want to know that you're getting a good deal. The best way to know that a used Mercedes is the deal it looks like is to get it Carfax Certified. This guide will help you get and understand a Carfax Report:
Getting your Carfax Report
The first step to reading and understanding your Carfax Report is getting it in the first place. Many used car dealerships will provide Carfax Certified vehicles, but if they don’t, then you can find the vehicle identification number or VIN number under the windshield on the driver's side of the car. Once you have your VIN number, go to the Carfax website and type it in on their main page. Carfax will run a background check on the vehicle to see if there are accident reports associated with it and what kind of work has been done on the engine and body.
Reading your Carfax Report
Your Carfax Report is broken down into six sections: Vehicle History Report, Vehicle Highlights, SmartBuyer Checklist, Warranty Check, Safety and Reliability Ratings, and the Buyback Guarantee Certificate. While it's useful to take a look at all of these categories, the vehicle history report is the most important. The Vehicle History Report will tell you the following items:
- Any accidents in which the car has been involved or any damage reported.
- The number of previous owners.
- Available service records and the last reported odometer reading.
- A rough calculation of what the car is worth above or below the Blue Book value.
- A history of the title transfers.
- An incident report informing you if the vehicle was reported as a total loss, if there was structural/frame damage, an airbag deployment, odometer rollback, accident damage, and any manufacturer recalls that affected the vehicle.
- A detailed vehicle history arranged by date showing title transfers and work done on the car.
Under the vehicle history report, look for these red flags: whether the car was reported as salvage, junk, rebuilt, or a lemon or if there are mileage issues. These are summed up at a glance on the Vehicle Highlights section. Once you've taken a look at these reports, you'll have all the information you need to make your purchase.
Once you've made your decision to purchase a quality pre-owned luxury vehicle, visit Texas Cars Direct. Every car in our inventory is not only Carfax Certified, but has the vehicles’ VIN and Carfax Report right on our website. Trade in your car for that previously-owned Mercedes you've always wanted. Contact us today at (214) 736-8557.